Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon Rolls....a classic yummy. They always smell so amazing when they are baking. I needed to roll out my dough thinner than I actually did, but other than that I was pleased as punch with how they turned out. Normally you would see them slathered with icing, but I mailed this batch out to family and a couple of them like their rolls plain......I try not to judge rofl. ;)

Cinnamon Rolls

3 cups unbleached flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup skim milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup tub margarine
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Dissolve yeast in about 1/4 cup warm water. Water from the tap works just fine. Heat milk and butter together until milk is warm and butter is melted. I use the microwave to heat the milk instead of the stove top, but either works fine. Stir into dissolved yeast. Mix in sugar and salt. Add in a cup of flour. Beat in eggs. Work in remaining flour until dough stiffens up. Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead in remaining flour. Continue to work your dough for 8 to 10 minutes.

Place dough in covered bowl and let rise for an hour in a warm place. The microwave makes a great spot to rise dough. Take a glass of water and heat it to boiling in the microwave. Leave the glass inside and put the covered bowl inside and shut the door. It's a warm, steamy spot.

Turn your dough back out on your board kneading it a bit. Divide it in half and place one half off to the side. Roll the dough into something like a 9x13 rectangle. Mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Brush the rectangle with water and sprinkle half the sugar mixture over the top of the dough. Roll the dough up starting with the longest side. Cut into segments and place each piece on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat this process with the other half of the dough. Cover the cookie sheets and let rise 30 minutes in a warm place.

Bake rolls at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they brown nicely. While they are baking mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough water to drizzle in a bowl. Remove rolls from cookie sheet and drizzle or spoon the icing over the tops. Consume warm, iced glory with great joy!


A few pics of the process...

I skipped dividing my dough in half before I rolled it out which is why it ended up too thick. I was too lazy when I realized it needed to be halved to pull it off the board and re-roll it out. I ended up with more bread than sugar filling with the dough that thick. ;) Meanwhile sweet bread dough is so very silky in texture. Pretty, pretty dough.


Dough is all rolled up and ready to be sliced. I just use a knife but some folks use string. Generally I do about one inch slices.

And here the rolls are all ready to to be covered for another 30 minutes to double in size. These are spaced pretty far apart, but I had room to spare with my two cookie sheets. They can be closer just make sure you leave room for them to puff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment