Monday, July 12, 2010

Pistachio Citrus Squares


I found this recipe and had to give it a whirl....with some modification of course...ehehehehe. I was a little worried about the amount of filling vs the amount of crust since it came out about 50/50, but the flavor was very nice. I toyed with doing a little lemon/orange glaze drizzle over the top, but I ended up deciding against it. One thing I am definitely going to try down the road is cutting the squares into small cubes and dipping in chocolate...I think they would make a great candy center.


Pistachio Citrus Squares

1/3 cup tub margarine, melted
1 cup pistachios, salted
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used one sleeve of crackers)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbls lemon zest
2 egg yolks
1 14oz can non fat sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tsp orange zest

In food processor, grind together pistachios and graham crackers. Pour crumbs into bowl and mix in sugar, lemon zest, and melted margarine. Press into greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for 10 mins.

While crust is baking combine egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. Stir in lime juice and orange zest. Pour over baked crust and spread evenly. Return to oven and bake another 15 mins or until filling is set. Cool and then chill before slicing into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment