Friday, August 20, 2010

Peanut Butter Lover Brownies

The original title for these brownies was "better than crack brownies" which I ran across here. Honestly though with a name like that I couldn't resist baking these up. They are yummy mind you and incredibly rich....but I wasn't compelled to snarfle my piece like a woman crazed. ;) Personal preference there I expect....the crazed snarfle reaction usually involves caramel ehehehe. I went with a more descriptive title for convenience.

The only thing missing was peanut butter in the brownie mix. The brownie batter needed to be studded with peanut butter chips I think. Of course that will make the brownies even richer.....and this would be.....bad? Not! Sacrifices must be made and all that.


Peanut Butter Lover Brownies

Brownie Layer:
1 cup tub margarine
4 squares (4 oz) unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter chips or peanut butter/milk chocolate mix (optional)

Melt margarine and chocolate together in the microwave. Stir often and be careful not to overheat. Add in sugar and vanilla Beat the eggs lightly in a small bowl before adding them to the chocolate mixture. Stir in flour. Mix in peanut butter chips. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 25 to 35 minutes.

Middle layer:
1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1/3 cup tub margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk chocolate
3/4 cup lightly salted dry roasted peanuts

While the brownies are baking, melt together peanut butter and margarine on the stove top. (I think this could easily be done in the microwave as well.) Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar. The dough should form into a nice ball. Pinch off small portions to form little peanut butter balls and place on a plate. Chill until ready to use. When brownies finish baking sprinkle the peanuts across the surface of the brownie. Take one cup of mini peanut butter balls and sprinkle across the top of the brownies. Spread the milk chocolate chips across the top next. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.

Topping:
12 oz milk chocolate chips
1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1 1/2 cups rice crispy cereal

While the middle layer is baking, stir together milk chocolate chips and peanut butter. Melt in the microwave until smooth. Stir often to make sure you don't overheat. Stir in cereal. Pour over top of the brownies when they come out of the oven. Cool and then chill.


A few more pics.
After I tasted these I cut most of the squares I had in half. I didn't want anyone to go into sugar shock. ;) Mmmm....nothing prettier than a tray full of goodies.


Aren't these little peanut butter balls just cuter patuters? Ok a note here....if you don't feel like making these you can substitute in a cup of chopped Reese's peanut butter cups for the mini peanut butter balls and 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips. The original recipe calls for the Reese's but never have those on hand so I just made a version of my own. ;) I confess I'd rather use my own version anywho...I know what went in them.

These whip together super fast and you really don't even need to form them into any shapes....frankly you could just do dollops across the top of the brownie. One cup only used up about half the mini's though and I knew I'd be storing the rest in the freezer so I wanted actual shapes to be able to toss into cookies and what not down the road.

A little warning....it is tough to resist nibbling on the candy as you are shaping it.

1 comment: