Thursday, August 12, 2010

Toffee


While I was in the middle of making brownies I realized they cried out for toffee pieces. I don't keep those on hand, but toffee is super easy to whip up....so I made some based on this recipe. Honestly though, I probably would have decided to make my own even if I was at the store looking at the bag rofl.....I'd just rather use my own caramel, fudge, ect ect. Ahem...I now have a spare stash of toffee bits in the freezer just waiting for action...yes yes.

I actually broke out the real butter too....I feel so naughty...ehehehe. So very much saturated fat in butter I tell you. I need to try out another one of the no trans fat margarine sticks again....I loathed the last one I gave a whirl though so I'm feeling gunshy about trying another.


Toffee

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

In a heavy sauce pan combine the butter and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and let cook until temperature reaches 285 degrees, stirring often.

Pour into buttered/greased cookie sheet with sides. Top with chocolate chips, allowing them to sit for a couple minutes to soften before spreading the chocolate around. Cool and then let set in the fridge. Break into pieces.


A couple pics of the process...
The toffee breaks apart very easily....I actually just used a butter knife, pressing the tip into the toffee to snap it apart. You could break it up by hand, but I'm pretty sure the chocolate would end up all of the place......which could be fun depending on your mood. ;)

The toffee should be a pretty caramel color when it's done cooking. I stirred more often than the recipe suggested as the toffee cooked....I found it needed it to prevent scorching. I could have been running my cook temp a little hot though. This shot is just after I poured it into my pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment