Friday, September 17, 2010

Honey Oatmeal Cookie Dough Truffles

Oh the giant tray of truffles. I was chastised a bit for making so many goodies at once, but a woman has candy making needs I tell you. ;) I've been seeing cookie dough truffles here and there on different blogs so it was only a matter of time before I gave in to the urge to make some of my own...ehehehe. I absolutely adore the flavors in my honey oatmeal cookies and thought the dough would make an amazing truffle.....and it did! It was tough not keep taste testing I tell you.

The cookie dough truffles are on the right side of the tray. The experimental second batch of cookie dough is on the left side. The bitty truffles in the center are brownie fudge. Ahem. Bit of a trufflegasm I know.


Honey Oatmeal Cookie Dough Truffles

1/4 cup tub margarine
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbls raw honey
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup flour
1 cup old fashioned cooking oats (1/2 cup ground fine)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
12 oz milk chocolate chips
1.5 tbls shortening

Mix together butter and sugar. Mix in honey and salt. Mix in flour and ground oats (easiest way to grind the oats is to toss the 1/2 cup in a small food processor for a few seconds). Mix in unground oats and coconut. Roll cookie dough into balls a spoonful at a time, placing on waxed paper. Chill for at least an hour.

Melt milk chocolate and shortening in microwave, stirring often to prevent overheating. The chocolate should coat the back of a spoon nicely. If it's still too thick add a little more shortening and heat a bit longer. Dip cookie dough centers in chocolate and place on waxed paper to set. After you have dipped all your centers, use a fork to drizzle some stripes across the tops of the truffles to give them an extra dose of pretty. Put in fridge to chill and finish setting up. Nom!


A few more pics of the process...
These truffles rolled and dipped beautifully. I was quite pleased with how they turned out.


Your centers should look something like this when you roll them into balls. The dough was quite easy to work with.

After I put together my first batch of truffles I took it into my head to make a second batch with powdered sugar instead of regular sugar for a smoother texture. I substituted 1 cup of powdered sugar for the sugar. The dough was harder to handle...stickier. The flavor was muted a bit as well without the regular sugar. The smooth texture was nice, but I prefer the original version. It's easy to see how this version was tougher to roll when you compare the pics of the centers. ;) Now there are some fixes to this kind of problem....chill the dough before you form the centers or add more powdered sugar....I tend to avoid excessive chill time and I didn't want to flood the dough with sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment