Friday, October 8, 2010

Unruly Monkey Bread

Zomg the scent of this baking was amazing! I wanted it! I wanted it all....ahem. So good. I have a serious weakness for sweet breads. ;) It's actually quite surprising I've never made monkey bread before really.

This batch was a bit of a fail though. I should have divided my dough into smaller pieces than I did....I was feeling quite lazy. Plus half of the loaf got stuck in the pan....there was much swearing. None of that affected the very yummy flavor happily...it just looked a mess. When in doubt, pile up the pieces that stuck in the pan and ice the heck out of them!


Monkey Bread

3 to 4 cups unbleached flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup skim milk
1/3 cup tub margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten lightly
2 tbls vital wheat gluten
1.5 cups brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted tub margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbls milk

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Heat milk and margarine in the microwave until the milk is warm and the margarine is melted. Pour liquids into the dissolved yeast and stir together. Add in salt, sugar, and vital wheat gluten. Mix in a cup of flour before adding in eggs. Begin mixing in additional flour until dough becomes too difficult to stir. Turn dough out onto board and work in remaining flour. Knead for 8 minutes or so until dough is smooth and elastic. Put dough into a bowl, cover, and let rise for an hour in a warm place.

Turn dough back out onto floured board and cut into small pieces. Roll each piece into a round. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll rounds through the melted butter. Then roll each round through the sugar mixture. Arrange pieces in a well greased bundt pan. When you have all your sugar covered dough in place, cover and let bread rise for 30 minutes in a warm place.

Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Invert on serving plate. Mix together powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Drizzle glaze over warm monkey bread. Nosh!


Another pic of the yummies....
I didn't add icing to the half that stayed together, but it looks all unfinished without it. Seriously, I needed to cut my pieces into a much smaller size...ehehehe.

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking just yesterday that I wanted to look for a recipe for this..one that didn't use canned biscuits. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of monkey bread! These look yummy. Like cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete