Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Nutella & Peanut Butter Granola 2.0

The last batch was a little heavy on wet ingredients.  I went too far in the opposite direction this time....a little too heavy on the dry.  It's pretty close to where it should be though.  If I put the oats at 2 1/3 cups I think it will be about right.  The most important factor though is it still tastes yummy.  ;)


Nutella & Peanut Butter Granola Bars 2.0

2 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
3/4 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
2 tbls tub margarine
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup Nutella

Pour your peanuts in a 9x13 pan. Crush them up a bit with the bottom of a cup, or whatever you have handy for crushing purposes. Add wheat germ, oats, and sunflower seeds and mix everything together. Pop pan into the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees for a quick toast. Stir the ingredients in the pan a couple times just to make sure nothing gets overdone. When the 10 minutes are up turn off oven and pour the toasted mixture into a mixing bowl. Set aside.

In a saucepan mix together the honey, margarine, and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and then continue to cook for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and Nutella. Pour over the mixture you just set aside. Mix until everything is well combined. Spray a 9x13 pan and pour the granola spreading it out evenly. With a piece of wax paper protecting your hand press down firmly to compact the granola. Toss the wax paper when your done. Let cool before turning out granola on a board for cutting. Cut into 20 pieces.


One more pic of the glory that is Nutella granola....
It crumbles just slightly, but still holds together well.  Of course this not quite right batch gives me an excuse to make more lovely granola....it's a win/win.  My Nutella bonanza goes on!

26 comments:

  1. Great idea for a "snack" pack in the purse when you are out on the town shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so scrumptious. I just made oatmeal cookies yesterday. It's one of the few things I bake, not being much of a baker and all. I love using oatmeal though so these are great for us. Bookmarking! Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like this for a snack! I like granola, I like peanut butter and I love love love Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!! It never occured to me to use Nutella in granola bars - just in cookies! :)

    Thanks so much for the delicious idea, from another Nutella (and peanut butter) lover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything that has Nutella in it! These sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nutella and peanut butter sounds like a fantastic combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nutella? In granola? Brilliant. That photo is drool inducing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..this looks awesome:) i really love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These bars sound wonderful! I love the combination of ingredients with the nutella added they could be my dessert and still have healthy elements :)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! Nutella and granola...wow! They look delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeeeee.. your blog is FULL of chocolate / caramel / Nutella goodness.. it's one sweet thing after another!! Giving me some serious cravings.. hmm!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow those bar looks so yummy! Nutella is like a magic ingredient :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this!! Sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow-these look (and sound) amazing. I love Nutella but have never tried baking with it. These may be my first attempt-they look perfect for a quick on-the-go breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! These look totally scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this captures everything, healthy breakfast with Nutella..whatelse can you ask for? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Granola bars can be tricky, but these are two fabulous flavors all wrapped up for a snack.. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nutella and peanuts yummy looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  19. Granola bar with my 2 fav ingredients. How did you know? I think I'll like it a little moist. And don't use that last sentence out of context.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love granola, never tried chocolate granola though! Did you know that here in Portugal it's almost impossible to find granola in the stores? Maybe I'll start making my own at home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love granola and homemade granola bars, these sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These really look and sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the perfect snack for my son when he's in football season, actually perfect any time. We are all big Nutella lovers. I've never made granola, where would one get wheat germ?

    ReplyDelete
  24. You can find wheat germ in the cereal aisle of just about any grocery.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm going to wait until you get the perfect batch and then make up a huge amount of these. Dudette always wants granola bars for breakfast and these will be perfect. Thanks for being the test kitchen for them. :)

    ReplyDelete