Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cranberry Kiwi Sauce

This is a variation of my usual cranberry sauce.  The kiwi doesn't stand out, but it adds an extra bite to the sauce.  The blow the top off your head tart flavor is a little more pronounced...ehehehe.  I love the way the kiwi seeds look in the sauce too.  ;)  It makes a wonderful drizzle for various baked goods.  I also think it would be a fabulous addition to one of my chocolate frostings.  I'll have to play around with it.


Cranberry Kiwi Sauce

12oz bag fresh cranberries, rinsed
4 Kiwi, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 tbls orange zest
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Combine everything in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  When berries have cooked down and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat.  Pour mixture into a blender (or use an immersion blender...which is my preference) and process the mixture until it's nice and smooth.  Cool.

8 comments:

  1. Love this sauce and I can think of so many uses, very lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good twist on a cranberry sauce. Let us know what you have used it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi would this work with dried cranberries since I don't get fresh ones here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...sadly I don't think it would work as well with dried cranberries. The only way to really know though would be to zip together an experimental batch and see how it comes out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the look of it, on what would you use it? White meats? Dessert?

    Ciao,

    L

    hip pressure cooking
    making pressure cookers hip again, one recipe at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking desserts. It would make an unusual sauce for pork though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...lovely sauce....quick, easy and yummmm....must try.....

    Sabby
    http://foodfunfreak.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems delicious, like the cranberries sauce!

    ReplyDelete