Monday, January 3, 2011

Salted Chocolate Drop Biscuits for Two

I ran across this post of sea salted buttermilk biscuits stuffed w/chocolate on Vanilla Sugar's blog.  Brilliant idea!  Just brilliant.  I had to try it out and the experiment fit right in with the weekend brunchfest. I just incorporated the chocolate and sea salt into my usual drop biscuit recipe.  I'm too lazy to make pretty biscuits...ehehehehe.

Very tasty....do not skip the coarse salt across the top....seriously that part just brings it home.  I may have had a wee bit much chocolate though.  Brace yourself for possible molten chocolate explosion.

I browse a ton of food blogs and run across so many creative, amazing recipes...my stack of recipes I want to try out is wicked thick.  Slowly....and I do mean slowly....ehehehe I get there.  It's hard to choose what to make in a week...something wandering around in my own head or something from the stack.  I'd love to just go on a baking bender, but then I'd have to taste test everything and spend an unspeakable amount of time on the treadmill.  ;)  Moderation is an evil hussy. 


Salted Chocolate Drop Biscuits for Two

1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbls sugar
2 tbls tub margarine
3 tbls skim milk
1 oz dark chocolate (2 squares)
coarse sea salt

Mix together flour, baking powder, and sugar.  Blend in margarine until mixture resembles crumbs.  Add milk and stir until just combined.  Drop a small portion of dough onto a greased cookie sheet and spread it out a bit.  Place the square of chocolate in the center.  Drop another portion of dough over top of the chocolate to seal it in.  Repeat for second biscuit. Sprinkle some coarse sea salt across the tops.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or until nicely browned.

A picture of the melted chocolate glory...
A little heavy on the chocolate....so much lovely, melty chocolate.

30 comments:

  1. Too much chocolate? Are you kidding? There's no way that's even possible...I think it looks amazing - perfect chocolate-to-biscuit ratio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that chocolate looks perfect! Well, actually, I'd say that the entire biscuit looks perfect, but that there's definitely not too much chocolate; those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of learning in French class that a 'treat' was bread stuffed with chocolate. Never would have crossed my mind to combine but is delicious. This looks really yummy! Thanks for the 'testing' of the recipe; will definitely give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heavy on the chocolate? I understand all those words individually but together I just don't understand.

    *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Those look decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy chocolate this sounds amazing! I would eat these up in a heart beat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melty and chocolate are my two favorite things, throw a little salt in and you've got a party going on :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first thought: Holy Freak'n Goodness-I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry, there's no way you can use 'too much' chocolate. ;-) These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These would be so good with a mug of tea! Look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look good - some kind of scone hybrid...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Intriguing idea. I'd love to try it out one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does sound like a brilliant idea! Mmmmm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea~! The chocolate hidding. I love it.^^*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trust me... There is no such thing as too much chocolate for chocolate lovers like me. The sweet/salty combination sounds so tasty :)

    Btw, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salt and chocolate. I am liking the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would never dream of skipping the salt! I think I could eat a tub of Maldon, despite the certain bloating that would ensue ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like heaven on a plate. There's really nothing like salt and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These sound and look so amazing! I love the molten chocolate center and the salty sweet combination!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh!! You're right, that is chocolate glory. I'd have to triple the recipe as the two I'd make with this recipe would be enough for me only. I am really enjoying salty sweet dishes these days. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look delightful, love the
    gooey chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW. These look delicious. My other half would love this. He puts chocolate and bread together all the time, only he takes a piece of chocolate and pushes bread all around it. It doesn't look beautiful like this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks incredibly delicious and only 2 tbsp of maragarine? I'm gonna make this with butter... very nice job! I'm sure it tasted great.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my goodness. well here is my next weekend treat! Love this!

    ReplyDelete