Friday, February 11, 2011

Beer Cheese


Beer Cheese....who could resist trying out a recipe with that title?  ;)  Grazing in the Bluegrass posted this recipe and I had to give it a whirl.  I took some liberties with it of course.  Don't let the modest appearance fool you....this is a great dip.  I was pressed for time when I was putting this together so I'm pretty sure I took the most unimpressive picture ever. 

I think I would add in roasted peppers or possibly some bacon next time to experiment a bit with the flavor.  This dip would also make a fabulous filling for poppers or mushroom caps.  The texture would lend itself nicely to piping from a pastry bag.  I always turn to cream cheese for my spreadable cheese concoctions, but this opens up some more options.

A word of caution.....you want the dip around room temperature when you let the guests dig in.  It will resist dipping and spreading when it's chilled....learned that one the hard way.  ;)


Beer Cheese

16oz Sharp Cheddar, cubed roughly
1 tbls diced garlic
1 1/2 tbls Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tbls Choulala hot sauce
1/2 cup beer (I used Newcastle Brown Ale)

Put your cheese cubes into a food processor to break them down into small chunks.  Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and hot sauce.  Add the beer gradually while continuing to beat the cheese. It should become of a firm but spreadable consistency. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

30 comments:

  1. my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! This sounds so good. Perfect for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. I should pass this on to my husband. Not only is he going to a brewer's guild meeting tonight, where I'm sure they'd love it, but he's also a huge fan of cholulu hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really delicious and I love your idea of adding bacon! Great name too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect dip for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you had me at beer, and cheese. Looks awesome indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would eat that whole bowl! That is my kind of dip:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beer cheese and have been thinking I need to try to make my own. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love dips and this one is definitely a good one! I mean it's cheese and beer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, beer and cheese, what's not to like :o) My husband would go nuts over this one and I bet it would be wonderful served with pretzels as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dinner on a Friday night. Beer cheese dip. Pretzels. Carrots and dill dip. Beer. Sign me up please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bacon would be so good with this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you eat this with just a spoon? You and your bacon talk (and beer/cheese talk) got me all excited, now I won't be able to sleep...Looks fabulously tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh my. This is my kind of dip...another "must make"....looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dont think I can resist this either :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the way this sounds. Next time we have a sports gathering I'll make this. I love the beer cheese combo. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds perfect for watching sports. It's so "man-friendly" with the beer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The title made me stop! He He I love having stuff like this when I have guest over. Hope you have a wonderful "Valentines Day!"
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just dangerous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow!! I had forgotten about this recipe! Thanks for sharing, will be making it again soon, and adding the bacon of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! Agreed - would add red peppers and bacon, too! Great recipe, my husband would totally love this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing. All I can say is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think I could resist this! YUM! I'm thinking of all of the different beers I could make this with :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a must try. I have a recipe for beer dip but not your delicious Beer Cheese! Must have it! I hope you had and are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beer and Cheese...there isn't anyone who doesn't like that! I would love some of this with crackers, or used as a flavorful spread on a sammie! Yum :)!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've had this at restaurants before, but never made my own! Thanks for the recipe...I bet it would be an awesome soft pretzel dip :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beer + Cheese = the way to any man's heart. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's right my kind of dip too :) YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the name...sounds like a great dip :)

    ReplyDelete