Thursday, August 4, 2011

Multi Grain Hamburger Buns 2.0


I changed my hamburger bun recipe recently....sometimes I just get tired of a particular ingredient...in this case ground flax.  I'm quite tickled with the new version.  The texture seems much lighter, even with the increase in oatmeal and wheat flour. 

I've been slacking on experimental bread making lately....probably the heat nudging me towards the usual recipes to get in and out of the kitchen quickly.

I don't usually bother gussying up my buns, but for a polished look they can be brushed with egg whites....sesame seeds, diced onions, and coarse salt might be some fun toppings as well.


Multi Grain Hamburger Buns 2.0

1 pack active dry yeast
2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, ground
1 cup warm milk
2 tbls oil
1 tbls honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup no fat plain yogurt, warmed slightly
1/3 cup wheat germ
2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oat bran
3 tbls vital wheat gluten

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add in warm milk, oil, honey, and salt. Stir in yogurt.  Add in wheat germ, whole wheat flour, oat bran, ground oatmeal, and vital wheat gluten. Mix in all purpose flour until mixture is too stiff to work in the bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead in remaining flour. Continue to knead dough for about 8 to 10 minutes adding flour to keep dough from sticking. Place in bowl and cover, letting rise in a warm place for about an hour. I generally use the microwave for this step...heating up a mug of water to steaming before putting my bread bowl inside.

Turn dough back out onto a floured surface and punch down. Divide into 10 portions. Take a portion of dough and form it into a rough circular shape.  Holding the round in one hand, use the other hand to turn one side of the dough under.  Rotate the round slightly and continue to turn the dough under adding a dusting of flour as needed.  This will give you a nice, round shape.  Place on greased baking sheet and flatten.  Repeat for the other portions. Cover and let your tray rise for another hour.

Bake your buns at 375 for 30 mins or until nicely browned. Cool on rack.


Every so often I get a lovely whiff of honey when I cut one of these buns open.  Yummy!

26 comments:

  1. This sounds very good. Something different for a hamburger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe, I've never tried making my own hamburger buns before but these look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your buns look great!! I’ve tried to make apricot raison buns one day. Didn’t turn out as fluffy as yours. Will need to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep meaning to make my own hamburger buns. I really like that these are multi grain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! I was just buying hamburger buns yesterday and all the multigrain ones had twice the calories of the white (to be fair, they were bigger). I guess the solution is to make my own!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great, so many different kinds of flours involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound wonderful with the ground oats in them! Nothing beats homemade bread-Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great, very nice recipe. i like ur soft burgers looks so perfect just buzzeeddddd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since you are not afraid of yeast, hope won't mind turning that oven on yet again to make me a pretzel. Hope you will join in the fun. I was playing with whole wheat flour the other day, I mixed it half and half and I was surprised how much the texture improved.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful looking buns! I have been meaning to make hamburger buns for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures and these sound so healthy. I've never attempted buns before. I admire your ambition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hamburger buns are perfection, perfect size and beautiful holes. We will be trying these out soon.

    http://fivefinickyeaters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow this will make my burger healthy :) and they looks so perfect. I am saving this to give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds healthy and yummy! Love multi-grain bread, so why not multi-grain burger buns? :) Thank you for this recipe... They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, these turned out wonderfully! I am loving the inclusion of honey, I bet they taste great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the change up in the recipe. Experimentation in the kitchen is fun (especially when it turns out well like this did!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like this recipe..I think that you did wonderful job..will try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the rustic touch of those burger buns!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I usually eat my hamburger sans buns (weird, I know) because store bought buns don't really do it for me. These look GREAT though, and I am so excited to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just this minute thinking of how I need to make some homemade burger buns. The mix of grains sounds great in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh! These look beautiful! I'm in awe of people like you who bake bread so well! Perfect! : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm still working on perfecting hamburger buns in this kitchen. I love the multigrain idea and the list of ingredients for these. They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We made homemade burger buns for the first time about two months ago and there's no going back! Love the multi-grain with the whiff on honey!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great recipe and just leaded with healthy alternatives :)

    ReplyDelete