Monday, June 21, 2010

Coca Cola Cake 1.0

This was an interesting cake....though I don't remember where I ran across the recipe now. It had to be made when I saw it contained Coke as an ingredient. ;) I didn't care for the icing that much, but the cake was lovely and moist. The icing was more of a glaze and packed to the gills with sugar. The icing wasn't terrible mind you, but the first thing I thought when I tasted it was sugar bomb. A better icing would really pop this cake up into one of my favorites....I will have to play around with new toppings in the future.

Coca Cola Cake 1.0

Cake:

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbls cocoa
1 cup tub margarine
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup sour milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, set aside. Bring cocoa, margarine, and cola to a boil, pour over the flour mixture. Beat in the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in marshmallows, which will float because the batter is thin. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool and frost.

Icing:

1/2 cup tub margarine
2 T. cocoa
1/3 cup Coca-Cola
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat together all ingredients until smooth. Spread over top of cooled cake.


A couple photos of the process....

I really didn't find the batter that thin, but the marshmallows did indeed float. Marshmallows...a very unusual ingredient to actually go into the batter itself. Usually they just get spread across the top after the baking is done.

I was a little worried the marshmallows would get overdone before the cake was finished cooking, but they only reached a deep caramel color. I think the amount of marshmallows could be increased a bit actually...I could barely tell they were there in the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment