Monday, June 7, 2010

Marinara Sauce


This is my all purpose marinara sauce...man I love this sauce. I use this for my pizza sauce, as well as, the usual dipping marinara. It keeps nicely in the fridge so it's easy to make this a day ahead of time if you need to. Freezing tends to make it a wee bit watery but it will still taste yummy. Overall though....super quick to whip up....which is pretty much a theme of a lot of things I make...ehehe. The diced tomatoes give a little extra kick in flavor, but I originally started using them because tomato sauce has insane amounts of salt in it.


Marinara Sauce

1 small onion, chopped
1 tbls garlic, diced
1/2 tbls olive oil
14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 tbls lemon juice
2 tsp sugar*
1 1/2 tsp sweet basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tbls corn starch dissolved in water

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. When the vegetables are tender stir in everything except the corn starch. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes over medium low heat. Stir in corn starch. When sauce has thickened, remove from heat.

*Generally I just use a packet of Truvia

No comments:

Post a Comment