Friday, September 10, 2010

Mole Sauce 1.0

I ran across this recipe and had to give it a whirl. I changed the peppers out to some of my favorite ones, but I'm thinking I need to toss at least one ancho back in the mix. It seems like a lot of the peppers that make up mole sauce have a smokey taste to them and I don't want to get rid of that element. Mmmm....tinkering ahead!


Mole Sauce 1.0

1 1/2 sweet onion
2 banana peppers
3 anaheim peppers
1.5 tbls diced garlic
1 14 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes
2 cups low salt/fat chicken broth
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tsp Mrs. Dash chipotle seasoning
1 tbls sugar*
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper

Slice up peppers and onions and roast under the broiler for about 10 minutes, until they have a nice color. Toss roasted vegetables into food processor with garlic and tomatoes and grind until relatively smooth. Transfer mixture to a saucepan adding in all remaining ingredients and stir well. Over medium heat bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or so. Makes about 3 3/4 cups.

*I just used a pack of Truvia instead of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment