Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sweet and Buttery Dinner Rolls

I used to make these buttery rolls all the time before I switched to multi grain breads. It was amazingly difficult not to toss in at least a little wheat germ when I was mixing up this batch....I felt some multi grain guilt I tell you!

I forgot how silky this dough actually is though....so so pretty to work with....and the texture of the baked roll is just lovely. It was quite hard to resist diving in on a taste testing/quality control mission when the rolls came out of the oven...ehehehe.

This dough makes a nice base/jumping off point for other sweet breads, rolls, and danish. Sweet breads.....oh how I miss snarfling them like crazy....ahh the notty, eating habit days....sometimes I miss them. ;)


Sweet and Buttery Dinner Rolls

3 to 4 cups unbleached flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup skim milk
1/3 cup tub margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten lightly
2 tbls vital wheat gluten

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Heat milk and margarine in the microwave until the milk is warm and the margarine is melted. Pour liquids into the dissolved yeast and stir together. Add in salt, sugar, and vital wheat gluten. Mix in a cup of flour before adding in eggs. Begin mixing in additional flour until dough becomes too difficult to stir. Turn dough out onto board and work in remaining flour. Knead for 8 minutes or so until dough is smooth and elastic. Put dough into a bowl, cover, and let rise for an hour in a warm place.

Punch dough down and turn back out onto floured board. Cut pieces off the main hunk of dough and form into dinner rolls, adding flour as needed. The easiest way to form the dinner rolls, at least for me, is to hold the portion of dough in one hand and turn the edges of the dough under while rotating the round of dough. You will end up with a nicely shaped, smooth dinner roll.

Place the rolls on a greased cookie sheet and let rise in a warm place for an hour or until dough has doubled in size. Bake in 375 oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until rolls are golden brown. Cool on rack.


A few more pics of the process.....
The rolls all shaped up and looking pretty for their hour of rise time. Normally the second rise is more of a 30 minute interval, but I tend to give rolls a longer time frame. Ok....I also forgot about them for a while....ahem. An awesome spot to rise your dough is a turned off oven with a mug or pan of steaming water on the bottom.

And a look at the rolls after they have doubled in size. I actually made my rolls a little too large. I must dub them jumbo dinner rolls....ehehehehe.....they are halfway between dinner roll and hamburger bun.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like some good, homemade bread...in any form. These sound great! =)

    ReplyDelete