Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stuffed Rolls


I do love to play around with pizza dough.....embrace the obsession with all things pizza...embrace it!  ;)  These rolls made very tasty snacks...plus I had a ton of fun making them so it was a double win.

Next time I'll brush the rolls with egg white instead of oil.  I prefer the glossy sheen to the look I ended up with from the oil. 

Next time I'd tuck a few pieces of pepperoni around the cheese instead of just one slice....don't know what I was thinking being stingy there.


Stuffed Rolls

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm skim milk
1 tbls oil
1 tbls raw honey
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milled flax
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tbls vital wheat gluten (optional)

Filling:
Mozzarella, cubed
Turkey pepperoni

Topping:
Garlic Powder
Parmesan Cheese

Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.  Stir in warm skim milk, oil, honey, and salt. Mix in flax, wheat germ, and gluten. Mix in flour gradually. When the dough gets too stiff to continue stirring, pour it out onto your work surface and knead in the remaining flour. Continue kneading for 8 minutes or so. Dough should be nice and elastic.

Divide the dough into 18 to 20 portions.  Form each portion into a rough round shape.   Turn the dough in one hand and fold a third of it under with your other hand. Keep rotating the dough, turning the edges under.  Add a light dust of flour if your ball starts to get sticky.  Flatten your ball out slightly.  Tuck your cube of cheese and slices of pepperoni into the middle and pinch the dough closed around the filler.  Put on greased cookie sheet and so the same with the remaining dough.  Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 mins.

Brush oil across the top of the rolls.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan cheese.  Bake in oven at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes or until rolls are nicely browned.  Cool on racks.


I could have made my rolls slightly smaller...the bread was a little thick around the filling.....I'm torn over whether that is a bad thing though since I am a serious bread lover.  ;)  

28 comments:

  1. Keep them as they are: that way you can appreciate all these gorgeous flavours in the rolls. What a lovely surprise to bite into them and discover the stringy mozza and pepperoni. You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!! Almost like homemade pizza rolls, only way better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like regular bread rolls, until you bite into them. You were fairly generous with the cheese though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would loooove to bite into those! That's the perfect roll, if you ask me. I am a huge fan of stuffed-food with more food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like the perfect snack, a little more filling and you've got yourself lunch! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's perfect for my brunch ! ^,^

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like fresh baked bread. It's not just the taste but the aroma it fills the house with. Lovely filling. Yes, more please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea. My boyfriend and I make Stromboli all the time, and these are like bite-sized Strombolis!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. there like mini stromboli's, what a great snack they would make while watching the game on tv!
    I have not seen turkey pepperoni, I will have to look for it!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh make a whole bunch, really fill them and bring them to work for lunch. Better then the crappy frozen stuff ion stores

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't mind the thick bread at all! Especially if the bread is yummy... Looks great :) Cheese, pepperoni and bread... what's not to love! A great snack! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great addition of wheat germ and flax in them, love this healthier and fulfilling rolls...

    ReplyDelete
  14. you never cease to amaze with me with these brillant new creations and this was is fabulous~!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd eat a ton of these and slather them in tomato sauce, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look incredible!! Love it! Things like this are such a huge hit in my house! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look soooo good and fresh. I haven't been very successful with pizza dough of any sort, but I should get over my fear and try your recipe. Kudos to ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmmm boy o boy! You know how much we love rolls with fillings around here. They looks quite adorable! I agree, next time stuff the the stuffing out of them! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These would be perfect bites for the kids lunch boxes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, I can just imagine them with ham and pineapple :) Don't worry about the kids, this would be perfect for MY lunch box.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look incredible!!! Love the healthy bread...and the gooey, yummy filling! Excellent recipe~

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look awesome! I must make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so good! I love that they have flax and wheat germ in them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! Rolls stuffed with cheese and pepperoni is never a bad thing. And thick bread is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum... I always go the opposite way, I over fill and have a bread explosion... very yummy though :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You come up with the best ideas! Love the stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look dangerously tasty!! OMG, I now definitely feel hungry :)

    ReplyDelete