Monday, July 26, 2010

Chicken Salad Sandwich


The perfect answer to the insanely hot temperatures the last few days has been chicken salad sandwiches.....cold food...it was a must. There may have been fudgesicles involved as well (no sugar added variety....I know I know....I feel like I've sullied my childhood buying that version too ehehehe). I haven't made chicken salad in a looooong time. Mayo we rarely use, if ever. You can buy the light version where the fat content is lower...but the serving size is 1 tbls and it's still quite salty. Have you tried to make a chicken salad while skimping on the mayo? It's pitiful. Sure I could fill in with some non fat sour cream, but it's also quite salty. Anywho, I went in a new direction with this chicken salad....quite pleased with how it turned out.


Chicken Salad Sandwich

Hamburger Buns or your preferred bread
Tzatziki
Cooked chicken*
1/2 Stalk of celery, diced
1/8 cup sweet onion, diced
black pepper, to taste

Mix up your tzatziki. It's better to make this in advance so the flavors can meld, but you can use it instantly....it mixes up very quickly as well. (One recipe of tzatziki makes 3 to 4 good sized sandwiches...depending on how moist you like yours.)

Mix together cooked chicken, celery, onion, and black pepper. Stir in your desired amount of tzatziki....tucking the leftover into the fridge for future sandwiches. Pile chicken salad onto bread. You can toss in a few extra's like cheese and bacon of course. Nom!

*I just boil a couple chicken breasts, shred them, and store the meat in the fridge to be used as needed. Generally I make chicken broth at the same time...but then I like to multitask. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment