Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Peanut Butter Granola Bars


I actually ran a little low on granola bars in the freezer....shocking I know....so I made a batch just for me. I usually whip these up to mail out to family and then keep a few for my horde, but I must be slacking lately. I have a small love affair going with peanut butter at the moment so that decided the variety I wanted to make. The original granola post is here if you want to have a gander...I really only changed a few things here and there....the original post has more elaborate details if you need them though. ;)


Peanut Butter Granola Bars

2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
3/4 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbls tub margarine
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup natural peanut butter

Pour your peanuts in a 9x13 pan. Crush them up a bit with the bottom of a cup, or whatever you have handy for crushing purposes. Add wheat germ, oats, and sunflower seeds and mix everything together. Pop pan into the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees for a quick toast. Stir the ingredients in the pan a couple times just to make sure nothing gets overdone. When the 10 minutes are up turn off oven and pour the toasted mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the dried dates. Set aside.

In a saucepan mix together the honey, margarine, and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and then continue to cook for 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in your peanut butter mix until well combined. Pour over the oat/nut mixture. Mix until everything is well combined. Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam and pour in the granola spreading it out evenly. With a piece of wax paper protecting your hand press down firmly to compact the granola. Toss the wax paper when your done. Let cool before turning out granola on a board for cutting. Makes 20 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment