Thursday, July 29, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Spread

After I made the Tzatziki I realized a Greek yogurt base makes an awesome jumping off point for a dip or a sandwich spread. And lo' the experimentation has begun. My beloved hubby is of course my official taste tester....ehehehe. It's a tough job but he does the needful. ;)

Now you don't have to use Greek yogurt....you can use a standard plain yogurt if you need to. Your end result is going to be thinner. You could also drain off some of the whey from standard yogurt in a pinch to thicken it up...but I try to avoid those extra steps. Quick and easy is the way I like it.


Roasted Vegetable Spread

8 oz non fat plain Greek yogurt
2 Anaheim peppers
1/2 small zucchini
1/3 sweet onion
1 tbls diced garlic
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbls lime juice
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp peppered bacon salt

Slice up the peppers, zucchini, and onion into smallish sections. Roast under the broiler for about 10 minutes or so until you are happy with the color. Toss the roasted vegetables into the food processor or blender with the garlic and blend until fairly smooth. Let the mixture cool. Mix together all the remaining ingredients. Stir in the cooled vegetable puree. You can use immediately, but it always better to chill for a couple hours if you can to let the flavors mesh together. Nom!


A couple pics of the process...
I should have cut the zucchini thinner actually to get a better roast....which I will do next time. I am not the most patient person so I declared them good enough. ;) If you are using cloves of garlic you can roast them along with the other vegetables. My garlic is already diced so that's a no go for me.


Roasted vegetable puree....it was fairly thick and smooth which is the texture you are looking for. Ehehehe.....just ignore the skerry green color. Reminds me off this meatloaf I made once with that green ketchup they had out back in the day. Talk about a dish you had to eat with your eyes closed. I have a sudden yen to watch the movie Better Off Dead now.

No comments:

Post a Comment