Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pide Flatbread


I used this recipe as a base for this flat bread.  I wasn't too excited by the steps so I altered it to suit my needs.  My dough could have been a little wetter, but I was still pretty pleased with how it came out.  Fresh yummy yummy bread...happy sigh.  The beloved hubby is trying to convince me this would make and excellent loaf that you can just pull apart and nosh with your meal.  I'd be so tempted to consume the whole loaf of bread that way though.  ;)    


Pide Flatbread

3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp raw honey
1 1/2 cup warm water
2 tbls olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbls vital wheat gluten
1 egg white, beaten
sesame seeds
coarse salt

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water.  Add remaining water, honey, olive oil, and salt.  Stir in vital wheat gluten and flour.  Turn out onto a floured board and knead for 8 to 10 minutes.  The dough will be springy and elastic.  Put in a bowl and cover.  Let rise in a warm place for an hour.

Turn dough back out onto board and divide into 8 pieces.  Work each piece into a nice round ball.  Flatten ball out on a greased cookie sheet into a six inch round with your fingers.  It will be about 1/4 inch thick.  Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.  Paint top of flat bread with egg white and sprinkle on sesame seeds and coarse salt.  Bake at 425 for 15 to 18 minutes, or until bread is a nice golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I love flatbread. This looks like it would make great sandwiches or be good for dipping.

    ReplyDelete